Thursday, June 25, 2015

Rocket Eye!

A rocket's eye view - little and then tiny people!

This is a bit of a cheat, but I couldn't resist the coincidence. The coincidence? This Daily Create was posted on the same day that my physics classes first got a chance to launch their rockets outdoors. These rockets are made from plastic 2-liter bottles and paper and cardboard and lots of tape and hot glue. The students had worked for a few days on them, building, measuring, and testing indoors. On the second day of launching one of the students decided to take the risk and taped his iPhone to the rocket. The iPhone landed safely, and the student sent me a copy of the video. It's pretty cool - the phone unbalanced the rocket enough to cause it to tumble mid-air, but it still went up pretty high - probably more than 100 feet!

The video was in MOV format, so I used QuickTime for Windows to open it. Then I exported a section of the video as a sequence of images. I decided to choose four images evenly spaced throughout the flight so you could tell what was going on - a little rocket story of sorts. I assembled and tweaked it in Photoshop.


(The Daily Create for June 22 2015 at ds106)

PS Thanks Woobens!

No comments:

Post a Comment